Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Money Saving Tip - Quit Smoking

No, this isn't a lecture on the evils of smoking. It's a logical conclusion I've come to in an effort to cut my budget. I smoke a little under a pack a day, depending on how late I stay up (usually pretty late). So at about $4.50 a pack I'd save roughly $135 per month. If I can get my husband to quit with me that's about $275 saved monthly.

An added benefit to quitting, aside from all the healthy stuff, is that it can also cut the monthly health insurance payment by about $50 by my calculations. So that would be around $325 saved a month just by both of us giving up smoking, or about $160 if it's just me. Not bad.

Since I can't afford kits, patches, gums, etc, to help me quit, I've found a couple of free online resources that seem to be pretty helpful.

Quit4Good is a website dedicated to helping people quit smoking. Categories include ways to quit, weight gain, and common triggers.

Quit Smoking Journals offers free journals to keep while you're quitting with a large group of supportive people in different stages of quitting smoking themselves.

So I'll quit smoking and save money, and maybe when my budget allows I'll start again. But hopefully not.

2 Comments:

Stella said...

Quitting smoking not only save money it saves life also. I just don't understand these young people wastign their money and life on smoking. Life is too precious to destroy it on smoking.

Thanks for your tips.

-Stella Roy

Anonymous said...

Quitting smoking is more about your surroundings, because in the first place smoking is a form of stress relief. Take out the stress, stay busy and keep friends who don't smoke. I've quit twice and am planning to quit again...Soon..